Job Title: Safety and Environmental Specialist
Promotes the Company safety and environmental mission and objectives by providing facilities with an effective safety and environmental program designed to ensure a safe and healthy work environment that complies with federal, state, and local guidelines.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Executes Corporate Safety and Environmental Policies and participates in the development of facility-specific procedures for compliance with established standards.
- Analyzes safety, health and environmental hazards and develops prevention activities, with indirect accountability for enforcement.
- Establishes effective working relationships at each facility in order to support the Operations management team. This individual shall participate in the Operations staff meetings as available.
- Compiles and analyzes data relating to safety, health and environmental issues, prioritizes situations, and drives the process of correcting or improving areas of concern.
- Assists in the development, design, and implementation of safety and environmental training for employees and outside temporary employees.
- Reviews investigations of all safety and environmental incidents or concerns and assists with completion of corrective action plans.
- Maintains safety and environmental records. This individual ensures accuracy and compliance while conducting and responding to inspections and audits.
- Determines needed safety, health, and environmental employee testing and contracts outside services to conduct same; analyzes results and coordinates decision-making process relative to appropriate action.
- Assists supervisors and managers with conducting regular safety and environmental inspections, equipment inspections, and safety meetings.
- Acts as advisor to facilities’ safety committees.
- Coordinates audits and inspections to ensure that the Company’s safety/health/environmental principles, policies, and programs are consistently practiced, and assists with employee disciplinary action when appropriate.
- Provides advice and approval of safety, health and environmental issues for new products and processes, and ensures appropriate measures are in place before new products or processes are released for production.
- Reviews all new Material Safety Data Sheets, coordinates decisions regarding the proper use, storage, and disposal of all chemicals brought into the facility, and monitors allowed limits for those that are approved.
- Responds to all injuries and ensures appropriate action is taken relative to any personnel, equipment, machinery, or tools that were involved in incident.
- Maintains working knowledge of new developments in the industry, in government regulations, or in benchmark data available in the areas of safety, health and environmental.
- Performs other job duties as assigned.
This position does not have supervisory responsibilities.
Have a background in manufacturing and finishing processes, employee safety and health, OSHA, EPA and NFPA regulations, industrial hygiene, and Workers’ Compensation.
Possess report-writing skills and the ability to research and administer OSHA, EPA, Corporate and facility policies and procedures.
Have working knowledge of OSHA and EPA regulations and reporting requirements regarding air, solid waste, and wastewater, on a federal, state and local level.
Ability to build commitment and overcome resistance, monitor transition, and evaluate results.
Ability to identify and resolve problems in a timely manner, gather and analyze information skillfully, make sound judgments and decisions, and develop alternative and valid solutions as needed.
Ability to work different hours or shifts as needed.
Education and/or Experience
Associates Degree in Safety, Environmental or Technology discipline and minimum three years related experience required; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Advanced specialized training in industrial safety and hygiene, ergonomics, OSHA and EPA regulations, as well as other pertinent Federal, State or Local regulations required.
Send resume to email@example.com